Saturday, January 19, 2008

Purging

Today, I was amazed by what God did. A woman from my art class asked me to go to lunch with her. It wasn't amazing that someone wanted me to go to lunch, but this is what God always does: He sends the person I would least expect into my path. It always happens. Last "semester" two young women asked me to do things with them after class....one was a stay at home mom, very sweet and bright, and the other one was a prosecuting attorney in Alexandria, also very bright, and both of them were quite beautiful...neither the kind of women I would expect to want to hang out with me, a Grandma type. We are still friends, even though we're in different classes now. Anyway, last week I noticed this woman in class who was a little older than me, and who was very bold in expressing herself to the teacher--quite argumentative, actually. She also was very vocal during both the teacher's lecture time and during our work time, choosing to add something to her painting that wasn't set up on our still-life, because she didn't like what the teacher put up there. (That caused some discussion between her and the teacher, obviously). Well, after class she asked me to have lunch with her.
My instinct was to say no, because I was a little leery of her boldness. But I've prayed for God to send people my way, so I said yes. Well, I took my time ordering lunch, choosing baked salmon, rice and veggies, to choose healthier food than the gyro sandwich and fries I had last week. (Ugh!) Anyway, she chose the same food and then asked about my diet. I told her the whole story...beginning with counting calories and exercising...but emphasizing my the support I am receiving from praying, studying the Bible, blogging with my friends and family, and from my husband etc. She seemed very interested and ended up sharing with me about her daughter who has a serious weight problem--probably needs to lose more than 200 lbs. Her daughter doesn't live nearby, but she will visit in the coming weeks. I hope to meet her, too. Our talk was great, and we learned a lot about each other.
I'm thinking God has a purpose in mind.

I am also hoping after I lose my weight that God will use me to help people who have significant, life-long struggles with serious weight issues. I have already been told by several of my water aerobics instructors over the years that I should get certified to teach water aerobics. What I would like to do is start some kind of program that would draw out (I AM NOT going to say "morbidly obese" people, because when I was a lot heavier than I am now, a doctor called me that--and it sounded like he was saying'You're too fat to live!' which he really was) anyway, seriously overweight people who might not even want to leave their homes. Most of the time, people who have those kinds of problems--are isolated by choice, because it is too painful--or impossible--for them to go out in public. I would like to do something to reach the souls of people--start a ministry--something someone who has never had a serious weight problem wouldn't be apt to do. But first I have to deal with my own problem--take the giant log out of my own eye. :)

That brings me to something I know I need to deal with more than just in my prayers.
I have been noticing that I am angry more than usual since I have been seriously working on my food issues. It's not like some buried anger that bubbles over--I dealt with that years ago in counseling. I get angry when I think I am not being respected by others, especially by people I think should automatically treat me with respect, i.e. Christians, extended family members etc. When I'm not using food as a buffer, I seem to feel the pain and indignation of this more acutely. I don't react immediately to people outside of my family--and I don't have a problem with telling my family how I feel...and sometimes even just letting something go if I know the other person is having a bad day. But what is bothering me is repeat offenders....people who are rude to me on a regular basis...who don't know me...and who I can't even
recall a reason why they might treat me a certain way. Don says, "You can't let it bother you--just realize it's that person's problem." I know he's right....and I'm not saying I'm impossible not to like...but it still bothers me. Maybe, now that I've admitted that it bothers me, it won't anymore. I just don't think there should be snobbery among Christians. But, as my wise husband also says, every sin known to man will find its way into Christian circles--that's why we all need Jesus. My tendency is to want to call people on it when they ignore me or exclude me in subtle ways--women are so good at that. I also have a real tendency to avoid being around large groups of women because of that--so I exclude, first. But most women don't treat me that way, and it's silly and probably sinful of me to avoid being around my sisters just because a few of them are rude to me. I know the key is focusing on other people....and keeping my mind off of myself. I do that most of the time, but now that I'm not comforting myself with food anymore, I am more annoyed. Don't worry, I'm not going to run around demanding respect and wreaking havoc in the church. And I imagine that if you're reading my blog, you aren't someone who excludes me from your fellowship circles. And I know this to be true--Jesus wouldn't have prayed that we would be able to love one another if it was easy to do. He was certainly excluded, spat upon, tortured and murdered....thinking about those things usually help me, too. Why should I expect far more than Jesus did--why should I expect anything? But, I'm realizing, chewing away on something I shouldn't is easier than swallowing my pride, and giving people the benefit of the doubt. A very wise person--actually the person from whom I received counseling years and years ago--acknowledged my feelings about being marginalized. He sat in the fellowship hall observing a group of women as we prepared for a meal one Sunday. Later, in counseling, he asked me about that day and how I thought it went. I told him I had felt shoved to the side, and he told me he had watched it happen. Then he said something I will never forget,
"If someone doesn't like me, I assume they just don't know me yet, and if they knew me, they would like me. I think that's true of you. If those women let themselves get to know you, they would like you." That statement really did change my perception of myself. What a generous thought. Now I feel better.

2 comments:

jaime s said...

Great story, Jerri! I definitely think God put your classmate in your "path" for a reason. You are so good about sharing your faith. I wish I was able to do that more.

I think that a big part of your annoyance with other's has a lot to do with the withdrawl you are experiencing from bad foods, ones that literally make you addicted to them. I remember Dr. Oz saying that on Oprah one day when he talked about his book, "You on a diet". There are 5 ingredients to avoid and if they aren't listed then the food is safe to eat. The problem is nearly every "normal" food item at our grocery stores has them (sugar, hydrogenated oil, high fructose corn syrup, enriched flour and I forgot the 5th one). Anyway, he got some people to follow his diet which ELIMINATES these items. There was, of course, a dramatic transformation but what really stuck with me was how Dr. Oz talked about the addiction that these ingredients cause. The "dieters" even talked about the "withdrawl" symptoms they felt when the began to rid their bodies of these ingredients. I too have had a hard time letting go of my sweets. I truly feel like I am addicted. I "NEED" something sweet after each meal. I am not looking forward to taking more control of my choices b/c I know it will alter my mood in a huge way. So all of this to say, I think you are right in that you aren't comforting yourself with food anymore but there is also a withdrawl you are experiencing that makes you fussier (for lack of a better word).

With regards to the second part of your blog entry...I think anytime you can turn your focus on others and what they are experiencing, there is less room to be hurt by things that you perceive as intentional. Sometimes they aren't intentional at all. I would recommend just getting it out in the open if you are pretty sure someone is intentionally being a jerk to you. I've had to do this with a family member and boy was it hard but now she knows I'm not going to just ignore her rude behavior and pretend like it's not hurting me.

This is a marathon comment and I apologize. Bottom line, if you aren't sure if the hurtful behavior was intentional give someone the benefit of the doubt and realize there could be something major going on with them that you don't know about and if it's repeated and you know intended to be hurtful then pull them aside and address it. Jesus confronted many people in the Bible (always without sinning) so you don't have to suffer in silence. (that leads to martyr syndrome and is so unhealthy!)

P.S. I LOVE your idea for helping people achieve significant weight loss!! You'd be GREAT at that!

Jerri said...

Hey, Jaime,
I actually came back online to edit out the last part of my blog, because I do realize that I'm quite a bit more sensitive lately. And I don't think anyone means to be rude intentionally--we all get into our comfortable groups and it's easy to overlook others. I've been guilty of it myself, but you're right, it isn't intentional. I do think we need to intentionally include others....especially people who end up on the fringes. I am definitely not on the fringes, so I shouldn't worry about a few people who just don't seem to like me. Maybe it's the weight issues...unfortunately weight is such an emotional issue in our country, I would say that every woman has some experience with negative feelings about it, either because she herself has had a problem or someone in her life has.
Anyway, thank you for reminding me about the physiological aspect....you're right, now that I think of it, I get easily irritated whenever my blood sugar goes down quickly.