Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Learning to Perservere

I am going to get a little more particular about the make up of my diet and try to stay at 1500 calories. I have lost 7 lbs., which is pretty good for two weeks. My goal is 10 lbs. per month. I need to make sure I get the nutrition I need, and I don't want to slow my weight loss down. I am going to read some of Bob Greene's book on weight loss, because it has some biochemical knowledge included in its advice. I'm also going to make sure I get 8 hours of sleep every night. I think my lupus is flaring up, because I have been putting a little too much stress on my body. Getting the sleep I need will relieve some of the stress that the changes I'm making will cause.
I have noticed that I use food to avoid strong feelings of sadness, grief and stress. Since I haven't been eating irresponsibly, I have been feeling a lot more frustration, sadness, and annoyance. But I've also been having a lot more feelings of peace and joy, because I am giving my problems over to God and His care. I'm feeling taken care of by God. I realized that, although I have believed in God and prayed to Him, I have been relying on myself. Not now....I can't change these eating habits by myself. God is giving me self-control and thoughtfulness.

I am starting to notice some changes in my blood sugar and my clothes, so both of those are gratifying. Also, several people have told me they are following my blog, and that is encouraging. I know God is giving me some answers for myself, and I know He will continue to help me as long as I keep asking Him....and acting on my committment.

Conner had his four month check up Saturday, and the doctor said he is doing great. He weighs 18 lbs. and is in the 95th percentile both in height and weight. He had two vaccines, and so today he wasn't as smiley as usual. He still smiled and laughed at me, and I promise it sounded like he said, "Grandma!" He's such a sweetie pie....I want to be around to see this little one graduate from college...and my other grandbabies.

Don and I watched part of Biggest Loser tonight. It is definitely inspiring to see people putting their all into getting in shape. I love watching people be successful at difficult things. I love getting inspired. I want to be inspiring to others. I want to" Let my light so shine before others that they will see my good works and give glory to my Father in Heaven." So many have inspired me in so many ways--Bob and Tresa Roth--the Schwamb family--and others. I am thankful that I know them and their faith.

2 comments:

jaime s said...

Way to go, Jerri! Keep up the good work. You are inspiring! I love the way you combine the physical, emotional and spiritual components into your weight loss journey!!

Hey to all of you reading Jerri's blog....LEAVE A COMMENT!! She's busting her tail and making a "new" life for herself and her family (plus, I'm SURE she's been an incredible source of encouragement to you if you know her as she encourages everyone she meets) So give her some props and let her know you are rooting for her!

Jerri--I'll keep checking in with you and will leave you comments along the way. I did the Biggest Loser Cardio Blast DVD workout today (a gift for C'mas) and it kicked my tail. I am going to stay strong, though. If you can do it, so can I!!

Jerri said...

Hey, Jaime, thanks for the comment! You're right comments are really encouraging....it's funny I dreamed last night that I had four comments on my blog! :) That Biggest Loser DVD sounds great! I may get that one next. I have the Leslie Sansone walking with weights video and The Firm set of DVD's. Don got me a step for Christmas...I asked for it, and it came with a step aerobics DVD, too. I also have a great Yoga for Weight Loss Video that strenthens my knees a lot. I'll cheer you on, too. You're doing really well to stay in shape while you are young. You'll reap great benefits, like probably not developing diabetes etc., and you'll be healthy for those precious babies and Murray. I miss you guys!