Sunday, January 20, 2008

Blessings and a Fun Day with Hubby

Today was a great Lord's day. The day started out with Don talking to me about a book he is reading, 90 minutes in Heaven, about Don Piper's story about when he was in a terrible car accident, and he says he went to right outside the gates of Heaven and talked to loved ones who had died before him. It was great to hear the effect that man's whole story is having on Don, and since I read the book right after my dad died, we had an interesting talk about it. Worship service was good, and then Bible class was fun, teaching the kindergarten class with Mary Jane McGibony and leading my 1st grade Prayer Circle. We met two visitors and also the wife and daughter of a friend of ours. Then Don and I went to lunch at the Olive Garden, which I was a little nervous about. But I did very well, and I thank God for the clarity of thought and purpose I had when it was time to order. I did NOT order an appetizer, (calamari, which I really like a lot!). It was so cold here today, so I ordered vegetable minestrone instead of salad, had one bread stick and half of an entree of shrimp primavera with whole wheat pasta, which was labled as low fat. I saved the other half of my entree for another meal. Then Don and I went to the art store to get supplies for my class--I'm switching to oil painting. After that, I walked for exercise in the mall for over half an hour while Don did some shopping.
Then we went to our small group and saw The Bucket List after that. That is a really good movie, by the way. We have been so busy for the past few weeks that we haven't really had a date. I was really glad to be able to order the healthiest food at the Olive Garden and stayed really close to 1500 calories today. Thank you so much for your prayers and encouragement. I was really tempted to order calamari today--I always do when we are at a restaurant that serves it, but knowing I would have to write it down and that it would probably put me over my calories--I resisted.
And I didn't feel deprived at all. I was able to have a little popcorn at the movie and still not go over in calories.
As for the annoyance I was feeling over something that happened last week, I felt very much part of the fellowship today and really enjoyed worship service and small group. I knew that if I owned the feelings, they would dissipate. I know that I am responsible for how I choose to feel at any given moment. Satan loves to put barriers in our hearts. He didn't win today. I probably overreacted just because I have been feeling a little out of sinc.

2 comments:

jaime s said...

Way to go, Jerri! I am proud of you for resisiting. I am starting my "serious" weight loss effort tomorrow. I am going to journal my food intake and excericse to help me stay more accountable. So far, it's been such a half hearted effort. So wish me luck!

I can't decide if I want to blog my journal or use that website you mentioned. I like the websites ability to keep track but I'm not that familiar with the "how to" and I don't want it to take forever to log in everything. I'll let you know.

P.S. How are you keeping track of your calories? Do you have a book you look things up in or do you read labels?

So proud of you for resisting the calamari. I KNOW how hard that is!

Jerri said...

Hey, Jaime!
Fitday.com calculates calories for you. I figure out what is in the food when we eat out--which is the hardest part. That's why I usually order the simplest thing on the menu so that it will be easy to figure out. Like at the Olive Garden, the shrimp primavera had a tomoato base with vegetables, so there was no cream sauce, and I only ate half, so I calculated that was a cup of whole wheat linguini. Sometimes I can type in something like "vegetable, beef soup, homemade" and it will calculate calories, fat , carbs etc. for me. Since I am careful what I put in things, I'm thinking their calorie count might be a little higher than what I actually eat, but that's good, since I usually go over 1500 calories a bit. Once you get things set up for you on the site, it's pretty easy. I blog my journal on the blogsite, because I don't necessarily want to be that public about my weight etc., which is on the Fitday site. I also do my Bible study journaling privately. But I've definitely found it encouraging to be accountable on my blog. I use the New Foods feature a lot, where you type in the nutrition info off of the lable, because I eat a lot of the same things. I'm also a big lable reader anyway. I learned that in Weight Watchers. Thanks so much for following my blog. It is so encouraging to me. :) I will follow your blog, too, and try to be encouraging to you as well.