Wednesday, January 16, 2008

A fun day with Conner.

Conner and I had such a fun day today. I know everyone will probably think I'm delusional, but I'm almost certain he said, "Grandma" twice today. He was intently watching my mouth as I kept saying words to him. When I said, "Grandma" he said something that started with the letter "G", so I repeated it, and he made the same sound! Okay, you can laugh at me now! Also, we were practicing rolling over today...well, Conner was....I already know how to do that. Anyway, he hates being on his tummy, because he's so used to being on his back. So I got down on the floor with him and his toys and put him on his side and kind of tipped him over on his back. (Don't worry...his pediatrician said it was a good idea.) He tumbled over on his back, and kind of looked like he wanted to fly....looking very startled as he did so. I remember that look on my babies' faces when they accidentally rolled over on their backs from their tummies. I applauded and cheered, so he decided, reluctantly, that we were okay....but only twice. The third time, Conner decided he wanted no part of that experiment, and so we were done. I made it up to him by rocking him in my rocking chair for a long time. He promptly went to sleep, keeping one eye slightly open so he could keep an eye on Grandma just in case she got any more bright ideas. When Grandad got home, we had a competition to see which name he would say, and then Uncle Don came in and got in on the fun....Conner enjoyed being the center of attention. I was IMing his daddy while all of this was going on, so Grandad put Conner in my lap and he "typed" lots of gibberish to his daddy. Chris said he typed the way he talked. When I waved goodbye to Little Man tonight, as he was sitting in his Daddy's lap, he kept moving his hand like he might wave bye bye.

Tomorrow we're going to go to the commissary before the snow is supposed to hit us in the afternoon. Conner's an old pro at the commissary now. I guess I'm getting to be more of a pro....our first trip back in November took four hours, because I kept stopping to feed him, change him etc. Now I'm in and out in an hour. I used to take four little boys to the commissary when Don traveled....and the youngest were babies at the same time! I can't remember how I did it! Of course, we lived on the base most of that time....only a block away from the commissary.

This evening I walked on the treadmill for 45 minutes...and I didn't let myself hold on....aka the instructions of the personal trainers on the Biggest Loser. People kept getting on and off of the treadmills next to me, and I kept on going. After my 45 minutes, I tried running on the elliptical machine. It kind of made my right knee bend a little too much, which it needs to do, so I may do that again in the future. I've also discovered the fitness channel. Don got a kick out of me trying the "shimmy" last night....he said he liked that exercise, but I'm not sure I'm going to let him watch that channel with me. :) (I did use some muscles I haven't used much before.)

The rest of the week, I am going to blog about my Bible studies. I really appreciate the encouragement I have been getting from everyone. It's amazing how much it helps--thanks especially to Barbara and Jaime!

2 comments:

Sign2Jill said...

Hi! Thank you so much for your comment on my blog. :) It's so encouraging.

And I'm willing to read your stories and post a comment as much as I can!

Jerri said...

IThanks, Jill!
I love this idea! Now that I'm back at home with my little grandson, I like having other grown ups with whom to connect. I'll be glad to encourage you, too. It was great to have a comment on my blog. People talk to me about my blog, but not too many people comment.