Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Pay Attention, Jerri!

I had a disappointment today. I received a packet with an offer to publish my book, Pay Attention Andy. Iniatially it looked like a really good offer, and the publisher has been around since 1920. They offered everything from printing to publicity and promotions, but I would have to pay a subsidy on the first prints of the book, which I have heard that first time authors do these days. It is too much money to risk on my first book that may or may not earn enough money to regain the investment, so I'm going to tell them no when I talk to the editor that was assigned to my book this week. I checked out the publishing company at Barnes and Noble's data base, and it is a legitimate company that publishes children's books. They offered to put my book on Amazon.com, Barnes and Noble.com and make it into an ebook as well as put it in print. They said they would design the cover with my input and place it in libraries etc. It sounds like they offer a lot, but I was actually hoping to get paid to publish my book by the publisher. Not only that, I have a series of books in mind along those lines and ideas about promoting them myself, so I'd rather self-publish than pay a $6000-$10,000 subsidy. I'm just going to keep trying. The good news is that I didn't eat over my limit, even though I did too much running around to exercise....I went to the library and Barnes and Noble to check out the publisher. I'm going to bed now--tomorrow is another day! :)

No comments: