Friday, January 18, 2008

Digging Deeper

Today was really nice. I thought I would sleep in, since Prince William County schools had a two hour delay, but I actually got up at 5:30 and got quite a bit accomplished before Conner and Cam got here. Last night I stayed up until 11:30 doing my Bible study....I studied about how God's anger was dissuaded by Moses when He had planned to wipe out the Israelites for idolatry. Moses convinced Him to keep the promise He had made to Abraham, Isaac and Israel, even though the descendents were rebellious. I thought a long time about that. God changed His mind, even though He had a very good reason to wipe out the Israelites. He allowed Moses to convince Him. So I prayed again for people I know who have turned their backs on God. Moses sought to be righteous before God, and I need to do that too, if my prayers are going to be answered on behalf of others. That is one more reason to stay with my plan to rely on God and get closer to Him as I turn over this part of my life to Him.

Although I hesitate to be a "follower of Oprah", there is no arguing with her success in her weight loss efforts, and I admire her wisdom in surrounding herself with people who are experts in whatever her pursuits happen to be. So I have Bob Greene's book....I got it for Christmas a year ago. But now I'm reading it. One of his suggestions was making a list of important things in your life and assigning a + to the things that are going well and a - to the things that are not. Whenever tempted to mindlessly (or emotionally) eat, the idea is to go down that list and work on whatever needs to be fixed. He says people should make amends where needed, take initiative where needed, be creative where that's needed--basically, take action rather than mindlessly or emotionally eating. Eventually eating for other reasons will take a backseat to actually living life and taking action on things that will make a real difference in life.
Here are some things I want to improve:

-Write every day...pray that God will lead me and FINISH things
_spending more of my time with Don NOT talking about the kids (doing things we like)
quality of conversations with my mom and brother
-plan something extraordinary to do with Don to serve God together
-use time with friends wisely
-Finish some of my sewing projects for my family
-Write in Conner's journal
-develop our pictures
-Think about Don and Elise's wedding and plan some time with Kristen to talk about it.
-Plan something special to honor Don and Elise
-Become the best artist and writer I can....glorify God with my work
There are some deeper issues that I won't blog about, but God and I have a list. Some things I can't change, but I am praying that He will change them. God knows the desires of my heart....and the value of eternity.

No comments: