Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Trial Run with Conner


Well, I had my first day on my own with Little Man yesterday! Oh, my goodness! I am older than I thought! First, Cameron helped me pack everything into the car, and Conner and I went right to ladies' class, blasting the music all the way there. Conner loves music and stops crying the minute we sing to him or play music. He's going to sing before he talks--praise songs, of course! We arrived close to ontime, but it took me five minutes to figure out how to get the car seat out of the car seat holder--if you have one, you know what I mean! Finally, I got the seat detached, made sure I had the paci and the diaper bag. (I loaded my purse items and Bible into the diaper bag.) Wishing I had remembered the attachment that turns the car seat into a stroller, I lugged Conner in his HEAVY car seat with his heavy diaper bag all the way across the parking lot and into the building. The minute we arrived in the building and spoke to a few friends, who oohhed and awwwwed over Little Man, he decided to be hungry! I searched through the giant diaper bag for bottles and discovered only empty ones! Oh, that's right, Cam had given me a can of formula! So I lugged sweet baby Conner back out of the building and across the parking lot to the car, retrieved the can of formula, and then he and I went on a pilgrimage in search of some warm water. Finally,Conner and I went upstairs to find that ladies class had morphed into many little ladies' classes. We chose one that looked the most "baby friendly" and settled down. As soon as I sat down, Conner was ready for his bottle, so I fed him, and he promptly started making his "happy noises", which brought a few chuckles from the mommies in the room. I'll spare you the rest of the day.....and the angst I felt as I tried for 10 minutes to figure out how to loosen the straps on the car seat to get Conner out safely without waking him.....and then how long it took me to readjust the straps when I was putting Conner back into the car seat for the ride home! Surely, I'm not the same person who used to go grocery shopping with four little boys and two of them infants--without giving it a second thought! I guess that's why God makes parents mostly on the young side--well, there WAS Abraham and Sarah. I'm not quite that old! I actually am really excited! Cam's new job starts next Tuesday, so that will be my real first day! Pray for me--and for Conner!

No comments: