Friday, January 23, 2009

I am the Weirdest Loser.....

I'm up to my third week on Weight Watchers, so it's become a habit, theoretically and in reality. I hope I lose more this week than I did last, but I do believe it is about being grateful for every oz. lost. My second week I didn't even come close to eating all of the points I am alotted AND I exercised almost every day, with all of the intensity I had in me, and I only lost .8 of a lb.! My first week I lost 7.4, so I've lost 8.2 lbs. as of last Saturday. Tomorrow morning I'm hoping to have lost at least 3-4 lbs., as my scale shows. This week, I have eaten all of my points and have exercised, but I missed Sat. and Sun., because I was sick. I also missed yesterday, because I had a busy day....I did do a lot of running after Conner and running up and down the stairs, so that probably counts for something. Today I hope to exercise twice to make up one of my exercise days, and maybe I will get up really early and exercise tomorrow morning. I need to be at Weight Watchers at 7:15, because last week at 7:45, the line was all the way through the weigh in room and across the meeting room, with hardly a chair left in the meeting! So I'm getting up with Don at 4:30 on Sat.

Tomorrow is my second advanced oil painting class and my first multi-media color pencil class. I'm excited about both. Also I am going to a meeting Feb. 11 at George Mason to check into getting a Bachelor's of Independent Study degree. I have been researching it, and I am beginning to compile a portfolio to submit all of my experience since I was last in college, to gain credit for life long learning. What I am truly interested in is a Masters program at GMU in creative writing. I want to incorporate my art in my BIS degree, and focus on writing specifically in a master's degree. I always shrugged off the idea of a BIS degree thinking it was a wimpy way out, but after reading the requirements, I don't think so. They will give me credit for volunteer experience, job experience and lifelong learning, such as my art classes and writing workshops. It's something worth looking into.

Well, my Little Man is half naked, watching Sesame Street and finishing up breakfast. I was about to get him dressed and took off his shirt, when he let me know he wanted to finish up his toast and cheese. He is mesmerized by Grover and Elmo! Pray for me to know and accept God's guidance through these endeavors. I don't want to take anything away from Don and Conner. I really have always had a yearning to finish my degree, and my sister/friend Jennie Jackson, inspired me by getting her BS in Criminal Justice. Jennie is one of my favorite heroes! She is right away going after her master's. You go, Jennie! Yea!

2 comments:

jaime s said...

Jerri--that's a great plan! I am proud of Jennie too! I'll never forget her Defining Moments story!

As for the weight thing...I've stuggled this week with not losing anything and have many "tangible" results (clothes still tight, scale not moving, etc.) and I've been working out for almost 2 months straight (3-5 times a week). I feel like the Lord is wanting to teach me patience. I just want the results! I guess I need to surrender and just learn to be patient!!

Let me know how your day goes tomorrow...4:30 am...yikes!

Jerri said...

Oh, Jaime....4:30 AM! I remember when my kids were small, I would find myself up late at night just to have some time to myself. BUT it's not good for weight loss! I've been making myself get 8 hours of sleep at night, which is a lot for me, too. I've read lack of sleep hinders weight loss, because it causes the body to produce too much cortisol, a stress hormone. I used to clean house all night and stay up all day when my kids were babies and Don was traveling. Enough about that!

I lost 1.6 lbs last week, but I was hoping for more. I can relate to your feelings! I think God wants to teach us perseverance. Biggest Loser is about immediate results, so in that way, it could be a little discouraging. But I'm still inspired by it. I was disappointed when the older man...I can't remember his name, was voted off. But did you see his and his wife's transformation? I was kind of ready for Eloise to get voted off last week, but she really doesn't have much support at home. Her friend Carla is so negative and not a good listener. The transformation for the guy....his name started with an L...who was voted off last week...was also pretty impressive. I'm sure I messed up all of these names. :) I have a doctor's appt. tomorrow, but I'm not letting them weigh me. I only weigh once a week, because the scale does a number on me, and the doctor's scale never is the same as Weight Watchers.

Hang in there, Jaime...you have less to lose, and you are adding muscle....it's even bulkier sometimes at first. It will start coming off, and even if it takes a while to see the tangible results, you are already reaping health benefits! I'm proud of you. You take leadership in this, like you did at Fairfax, and I really appreciate the encouragement!