Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Blogging Again.....

I can’t believe how long it has been since I’ve blogged! I won’t even try to catch up, but if you have Facebook, and you’re my friend, you probably already know what ‘s been going on with us.

I will catch you up on my weight loss journey, since that is what I last wrote about. I have lost just over 20 lbs. since Jan. 1st, and I give thanks for that success to God, Weight Watchers and my other support systems, like the Biggest Loser club, and my husband and children. Now if I can only do that about 5 more times!

I guess I will catch you up on the news about Nathan. He is recovering from a very serious traumatic brain injury. It happened over 3 weeks ago, when he had gone over to walk his girl friend’s family’s 3 Jack Russel terriers at lunch time, while they were at work. He accidentally dropped his keys with the leashes and locked himself out of their house. He called my cell, but his cell died before he could speak, so he got on Katie’s skateboard, (a longboard that goes highway speeds), and he was coming home to get his spare key, when he found himself going down a steep hill at too high of speed, and before he could slow down, he fell backwards and smashed the back of his head into the pavement. The impact knocked him out, and when he came to and realized he was bleeding from the head, he made his way up the hill to the road and a couple picked him up and brought him home, calling 911. Nathan knocked on the door, the ambulance came and Don got home at the same time. Don took Conner from me, and I rode in the ambulance with Nathan to Fairfax Hospital, where he was in the trauma ICU for a few days….and then in the neuro ward off and on for two weeks. He is home now recovering, coming off of pain medicine and still in a lot of pain. He’s dealing with it, though. He’s off of everything except one med. He has a skull fracture, an arterial epidural hematoma, a subdural hematoma, contusions on the frontal lobe and a percussive brain injury. He will be recovering for several months, but is so lucky to be alive.,,,not lucky, really…blessed.

Don and I are so thankful not to have lost our son. We also are thankful he has so many people who love him. His brothers were there for him, and his girlfriend, Katie, has been a huge support for him. Don and I are praying that God will keep working in Nathan’s life, and in all of our boys’ lives.

April is our big birthday month in our family. We celebrated Don C.’s birthday last week, we will celebrate Don’s this week and Steve’s next. It is fitting that after all of that celebrating, May is when Mother’s Day happens! 

No comments: