Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Oh yeah.....Predatory Ducks

With all of the hoopla, I almost forgot about my walk today....and the predatory ducks! I decided to brave the predicted heat and humidity this morning and take a four mile walk! About halfway, I stopped for a small break beside a cute little lake, and called my mom on my cell phone. I sat down on what I thought was a mound of mulch around a tree, but which turned out to be a mixture of mulch and stinky fertilizer. So, I moved up to the sidewalk to sit on a
guardrail and finish my conversation with my mom, when 10 big, fat white ducks with yellow bills came waddling up to me, with intention gleaming in their 20 beady little eyes. I was trying to listen to my mom amid the quacking and my attempts to shoo! the ducks away. Finally, I gave up and told my mom what was going on. She said, "Why don't you just walk away?" That's why girls need moms....even old girls. So I walked away.....and 10 ducks waddled after me, walking in a V formation! Every so often, I turned around and ordered, "SHOO! GO AWAY!" because I was walking uphill toward Braddock Road. And yes, I do walk faster than 10 ducks, but I'm telling you, those were some stubborn ducks, and I didn't want to be responsible for leading them into destruction! Finally, I rounded the corner and the ducks waddled down into the second lake I was passing. I was laughing and heading uphill over the bridge, happy to have outsmarted those ducks, when I noticed them swimming in their V formation across the lake, making a "V" line right for me!! No joke! My mom suggested maybe they smelled the fertilizer and thought I was one of them. (Thanks, Mom.) But I DID have on a bright yellow shirt.....she might have something there. Well, anyway, I really am going to bed now. Quack! Quack! I mean Nite Nite! :)

No comments: