Saturday, December 29, 2007

Conner and Santa




This picture of Conner and Santa was taken on December 11th at Fair Oaks Mall. I had to keep it a secret until Christmas, because it was a present for Chris and Cam and Cam's parents. Dec. 11th was Little Man's three month "birthday", and believe me he has GROWN. That day I didn't have the stroller, so I lugged Conner and his car seat across Fair Oaks mall to the cart section, which is right near Santa. My plan was to go back to Sears and get some booties. (His mom had brought him in a sleeper. I had bought the outfit as a surprise, but didn't find booties to go with them yet.) I was so exhausted by the time I got to the cart area, and I noticed the line was short, so I decided Santa's little elf would be cute barefoot. Conner woke up just long enough to smile and then he went right back to sleep. (Grandma had him out during naptime!) Of course, we would have preferred to have our home grown Santa, John Schackleford, but the setting and everything was perfect. This Santa was really patient, too. The baby before Conner was horrified to be in Santa's lap. Conner NEVER has wet through his diaper when I was caring for him--over it, yes, under it, yes--but never through it. But when I handed him off to Santa, I found my blouse was soaked! Santa never even flinched! He was a great Santa!!

How was your Christmas? Ours was warm and wonderful with the new baby. Our kids came to Christmas Eve service and stayed a long time....except for Steve who didin't get off work from his security job until 10. We spent Christmas Eve at Chris' and Cam's, Christmas morning at our house, and then Christmas dinner at a friend's house--Chris and Cam went back home for their Christmas with Cam's family, and Steve had to go back to work.

Two days later I had some sort of stomach plague/lupus flare up. I just got out of bed this morning after over 36 hours of throwing up and then pain. Our friend's toddler had a stomach flu the day before we all got together, and passed it on....ugh! I still feel like someone punched me in the stomach a bunch of times. I haven't thrown up in years....still is no fun....for me or Don. Next year we will have a health screening before holiday celebrations! :) Luckily Conner, Cam and Chris didn't get sick....son Don did, husband Don did, and I really did. (I always get sicker than everyone else!) But I was okay knowing that Conner was okay.

Today, I woke up feeling better, and Don had to work a double shift, so I declared this "Jerri's Do Whatever She Wants to do Day". My plan was to use my Starbucks Gift Card and my manicure/pedicure gift card, compliments of my thoughtful hubby for our engagement anniversary. As I was sitting in Starbucks reading my book that Don bought me for Christmas, my cell went off. At first I decided to ignore it, but I noticed I had received a voice mail from Nathan, my youngest--albeit completely adult aged son. He and his brothers had gotten together for basketball this morning, and Nathan's message to me was, "Mom, I dislocated my shoulder. Please call me back." Did I mention that Nathan, who just rejoined the electrical union, won't have health insurance for another month? I ended up taking him over to our friend's house--Dan Robinson--and he put Nathan's shoulder back in place, AND adjusted my back and Nathan's girlfriend's back, too. (She had come over to drive Nathan to the ER or Dan's or wherever he needed to go, since he couldn't drive with his shoulder, and I initially didn't answer my cell....) Did I mention that Dan is an angel?....I got to see his kids, who I've adopted as my own, while I was there and did a few things for Dan and Darla while I was there. By the way, we need to be praying for Darla's mom who may be dying right now. (Dorothy Mason)Darla is in Louisville, Ky. with her mom right now.

We have a lot to be thankful for this year. We need to be praying for Bob Roth, for Darla's mom, and for Rhonda Krawczyk, Lauren Schwamb and Bennett Speck. God is good, and I am so thankful, as I'm sure you are too! Happy New Year, friends and family

3 comments:

erinlo said...

Wow Jerri! I just found your blog and am so excited to see you are now a Grandma! What fun! I know you are loving lovin on that baby. So glad to have found you! Love, Erin L.

Jerri said...

Hey, Erin!
I was so happy to find your blog, too! You are an awesome writer and an even more awesome mom! I love your honest reflections on motherhood! Honesty during parenting is a ministry all by itself, because it is so easy to feel alone in your struggles as a mom. You are an example to all of the moms out here in the blogsphere, whether old or young! Thanks for your comment! I'm so excited about your new home....I've always wanted to live--or even visit up north. We have edged up toward the Canadian border when we've visited Don's family in NY. I want to do that again. Love you! Jerri

Matt said...

Hello!

I am contacting you because I am working with the authors of a book about blogs, and I'd like to request permission to use the photograph you have posted in this book. Please contact me at matt@wefeelfine.org, and I'd be happy to give you more information about the project. Please paste a link to your blog in the subject field. Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Matt