Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Santa Baby!



Well, I'm on Conner break for about 2.5 weeks. I miss him already, but we will see everyone Christmas eve and Christmas day. Little Man and I have been all over Northern VA Christmas shopping since Thanksgiving. It's getting where Conner knows that we're going somewhere whenever he sees me. He smiles when he hears Christmas music playing, except Sunday when he was with us at chorus practice for Christmas Eve. He wanted to be on the stage with us.

Tonight Don and I are finishing celebrating our engagement anniversary. Last night we had dinner out at PF Chang's, and tonight we are wrapping presents together and watching Christmas movies. We were engaged on Dec. 22, 1974. We always exchange a gift and our Christmas cards on that date. It's my favorite Christmas tradition, because it's just between Don and me.

I went grocery shopping today, and it was busy at the commissary! It was weird being there without Conner! I was in and out in an hour. I didn't spend any more than I usually do for a two week grocery run. Our grocery bill is going down. I'm trying to cook just for the two...or three if Nathan's home...of us. Sometimes Katie eats with us, too, but she doesn't eat much. Rarely Don and Elise will come over, and sometimes we invite people over, but our food bill doesn't change much. I have been evaluating our spending on food, utilities etc and trying to do my part to cut expenses. I have been feeling nudged by God to spend less and give more...I have become more aware of ways that we waste money. I can't do it anymore. We have everything we need and more. We gave up our expensive gym membership, because Don has a gym at his work, and I wasn't getting there during the day with the Little Man. They said I could bring him to the nursery, but I just couldn't leave him there yet....he isn't my baby, and that does make a difference! Also, the germs...it's one thing exposing myself...but Conner...couldn't do it. (Some stranger could try to pick him up....) Then, there was just the logistics. I had enough trouble having the two hours to get me over there in and out of the pool, shower and go home...in winter. But with Conner....it just makes me exhausted thinking about it. So, I have been utilizing the hundreds of dollars worth of exercise DVD's and weights I have here....I love the newest Firm DVD's I bought last summer as well as Leslie Sansone's 3 mile walk DVD. I really feel convicted that I need to use what I have and stop looking for new answers. I think God's already sent me rescue boats, (no, I wasn't in Bethesda!), helecopters, tug boats.....a Hummer....and I'm waiting around for something new to change me. I need to use the tools God has given me, and start looking for more ways to serve Him with my strength and gifts. I still have my goal of getting down to my goal weight by the end of 2009. I could use prayers, but I'm optomistic. I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. (I'll let you know what my engagement anniversary present is...I have a feeling that it will be inspirational!) :)

1 comment:

jaime s said...

What a great Cmas tradition! Can't wait to hear what your gift is!

We just joined the YMCA and are LOVING it!!! I found that I didn't have the discipline to workout at home so it's been great for us. The kids love the childcare (and aren't there that long plus it was very secure).

I am starting a new goal plan that I am going to blog about soon! I'll pray for you to reach your goal weight too!

A new season of B.Loser starts soon so I am going to use that as motivation too. I'm going to do weigh-ins when they do and STOP snacking while I watch the show!

Enjoy your Christmas festivities!