Thursday, December 11, 2008

A Rant about Rudeness

I took a wimpy little journey into self assertion the other day. Most of the time I ignore it when someone is rude to me, but it seems that women my age start taking chances, calling people on their oversights, or downright meanness. My anger reflexes are a bit slow sometimes, but a so-called sales person in the CVS at Fair Oaks Mall really burned me up last Saturday! I was looking for a Wii game for Don, and I had looked all over the mall for it with no success. I went into CVS for something else and noticed they had Wii games. The salesman was a few feet from the Wii display, and I looked his way for a couple of minutes. Then I said, "Excuse me, do you have such and so game?" He stared at me in the eyes for a minute or so...and then a friend of his walked into CVS, and he pointedly ignored me, turned his attention to his friend and began about a 5 minute pointless conversation about some party and some girl. I was really angry, but I looked through the games....ignoring the conversation. After his friend left, the young man tried to talk to me, but I wouldn't even look his way. Then he said, rather obnoxiously, "That game you wanted, I sold the last one just a minute before you walked through the door!" Then he said it again. I ignored him and walked out of the CVS, but I was still thinking about it yesterday. After telling my family about it, everyone said I should have talked to the manager of the store. So I decided to call the store. I know it was too little too late, but I wanted to show that young man that he couldn't just discount people without consequences. BUT I had to call the 411 operator for AT&T. I have never spoken to a nice AT&T operator, and this one was no exception. She asked me for the address to Fair Oaks Mall. I told her Rt. 50, and she proceeded to give me an attitude, naming all of the streets in Fairfax county. I interrupted her and said, "You know, I have never once spoken to a curteous 411 operator from AT&T. I am going to file a formal complaint." She said, "So do you want the number?" I hung up. Then I tried to call the AT&T 0 operator. There isn't one. So I gave up. See, I told you it was a wimpy attempt. I think I waste a lot less time and emotional energy by just telling myself that other people's rudeness is their problem, not mine, as long as I am polite. But, if you decide to be rude to me, know this: I am not blind, I am not stupid, and I do have a voice, and I notice your rudeness. I just choose to rise above it. If that makes me arrogant, then what does it make you? Just asking.....

2 comments:

jaime s said...

Funny...you are a lot like me (or vice versa). I left Menards (a hardware store) one time in tears b/c the cabinet sales guy was SO ARROGANT and rude to me. It was the worst kind where as I am describing what I want him to do he stops listening and gives me this look like I'm speaking a foreign language (I happened to mention that I didn't want to buy new cabinets, I needed help with something else). I stopped and asked if I wasn't explaining myself correctly (I don't know much about fixing stuff up). He arrogantly states that it would be a waste of his time to help me b/c I am not getting any cabinets but he'll put his "part time" guy on the case when he comes in in 30 minutes. There was no one else in his dept. so he wanted me to wait 30 min. for the part-time guy since I wasn't "worth his time". I just walked off and thru tears told the customer service guy what happened. The manager wasn't available so I don't think anything ever happened to the guy but I refuse to ever shop there again. Murray tried to go in there later and I said, we are going to Lowe's instead.

I just don't get it! What happened to customer service????

Jerri said...

That is awful! I can't believe that "salesperson" told you he was "above" helping you! It will be interesting to see how the economic crisis will affect people's attitudes toward doing their jobs! Don said that he thinks there is an epidemic of rudeness in our country right now. His job involves national security, and sometimes people he is protecting give him an attitude while he is doing his job, keeping them safe! I'm sure you won't be buying cabinets from that guy ever!
Unfortunately the CVS guy probably couldn't care less about his job...or me. I always told my kids that no job is beneath them, and that they should always pride themselves in doing their best at any job. Thanks for your comment. Merry Christmas...shop online! :)