Thursday, February 25, 2010

Excellence

Excellence. When I see it, feelings resonate within me so strongly that I cannot control the tears. God creates within us a longing for greatness! He stretches us and lets us fall like good coaches do with their young charges. Falling teaches us to stand. It teaches us to follow instructions and obey truths. I have fallen more times than I can count in my life. As I get older, it is harder to get up after a fall, but I have learned that it is not my strength that lifts me up, but my Father's.
In fact, if I stay close to Him, I am not likely to suffer a fall. Excellence. All I have to do is look at Him! "He who would be great among you must become the servant of all." That is a statement that seems counter-intuitive, especially in our culture.
"Greater love has no man than this....that he lay down his life for his friends."
Excellence--in the face of death. I see Jesus on the cross, looking up, praying for those who had inflicted Him with an agonizing death, "Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do." Grace in the midst of pain. True excellence.

No comments: