Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Continuity and Wise Adventure

This is the 34th Thanksgiving dinner I have made;although one year when I was sick, I coached, half-conscious from the couch, in between trips to the bathroom--it was the year I had Hep A. I am always up the night before Thanksgiving, making pies, cornbread, salads and cleaning. Every year I ask what everyone wants for dinner, and they always mention the same things I have made for all of these years. They only want that dinner once per year, but they always want the same dinner. Usually, we go to devotional the night before Thanksgiving, but this year Nathan spent the afternoon at the hospital. He was diagnosed at the medical clinic with appendicitis. After a CAT scan at the ER, it was discovered that what he really had was extremely bruised internal organs, to include liver, kidney, and all of his abdomen, from a game of "touch" football he played with his brothers last weekend. I am not happy. They are grown men, and they should know how fragile the human body is....even young 20 and 30 something bodies. One of them is a daddy, and he should know how valuable his spinal cord is! When they were little and hurt each other, there were consequences. When they hurt themselves, the consequences took care of themselves.
This year, I am considering taking Thanksgiving dinner hostage....and banning the basketball game altogether. At the very least, I am sending the voice of sanity, their dad, out in their midst. They have always known there will be "heck" to pay if they hurt their dad....or me. But I quit playing with them after they started getting taller than me. But this is serious....a liver can be ruptured so easily, and if the liver is ruptured, death from hemmorage happens almost instantaneously.
I told Nathan that if he even thinks about playing basketball tomorrow, I'm cancelling Thanksgiving dinner. He promised he wouldn't. Just wait until Little Man is big enough to play....I think they all will curtail the rough stuff. If they don't, there will be "heck" to pay....from Chris, Cameron AND all of the grandparents. I know boys need adventure....but wise adventure! Happy Thanksgiving, friends.

No comments: